In short what is STRATEGY really?
Ask around, hay friend! What is STRATEGY exactly?
Nine out of ten times someone will have some sort of an idea…very few will peg the mark…and be able to give you the detail of it, this brings strategy into peril. People need to know and understand that everything they do, eat, hear, smell, taste and say daily is because of some form of STRATEGY.
The history of strategy is the history of our world, and the future of man.
We are and were born hunters and gatherers first – afterwards we just become; all self-centred, and aim to exploit our habitat and those in it, with the use of strategy and scheming, to our advantage. It’s all programmed and hot wired into our psyche, to manipulate and use emotional blackmail, we tend to get what we want from a very young age by using these approaches; it’s all forms of strategy we practice.
Strategy exists in order for us, to get what we want, so why don’t we know what it means to be strategic?
We are at risk of losing all the benefits and application of real life strategy, if we do not clarify and quantify how it’s to be seen, used, understood, referred to and handled.
What is Strategy in the true sense of the word or by nature?
We need to make sure that everyone understands not its implicit meaning ;( implying what we think we understand it to be, all in general terms, with only limited insight).
NO! It’s part of life skills…We want and need people to understand and relate to strategy from its explicit meaning; (what it really implies as a matter of fact, and practices, to be representative of this, this is what strategy truly is, and can do.)
Moving from the Implicit; where our answer would be, it means something like planning…
To Explicit; by being able to give a simple definition; 1*Strategy is the 2*art of 3*planning and 4*directing large 5*scale 6*movements and 7*operations of 8*business nature. Furthermore we should also be able to explain the words that describe the complexity, to create connections for ourselves and others; then we will be able to describe elements that make up strategy. By starting with the basic description of strategy and what it implies.
- Strategy; is best described as an approach; a way of doing something’s, by utilising tactics and initiative.
- The ability to use something/ anything to your advantage, from very simple to very complex, it can also take on any form, like; policy, procedures, devices, mashines, skill, knowhow – anything that you can use to give you a power, or leverage. Then we get more complex form of tactics; with manoeuvre, technology…anything that will give you an advantage, or make you faster, or keep you in power, or give you the ability to take and lead by initiative, coercion, enslavement, mediation, the list is open ended. Then lastly War; from infantry to nuclear bombs; it all sorts under this aspect of tactics.
- Initiative on the other hand is; the thinking behind all of this, how we structure and organise our selves is called initiative, also entrepreneurship is included. This includes the design of something, also the planning, organising, orchestrating, politicising, and campaigning for an event to take place. It is the cognitive; the thinking part, the thinking about thinking, the critical thing and communication of these ideas. As well as the rallying of agents and means, and the selling of these concepts. How we connect resources, Knowledge and effort to deliver on a goal, this is using our initiative, being labelled as being very resourceful, and cunning, stems from being able to use all of these mentioned elements to add value and then deliver a result.
- 2. Art; implies; having certain skills, talents and or ability to do things with people, or perform actions with resources and create something… if you can do it consistently then you have mastered the Art of something, you then become proficient at what you do, then you are labelled an artist.
- 3. Planning relates to; the amount of preparation that was set aside beforehand, to think about ways and means of aching goals. This action can be done alone or as groups, or even segmented, where sections are planned and the eventually joined to become the master plan, or blue print. Project management functions mainly on planning. It also looks at forecasting, and scheduling so that we could say with some amount of certainty how much it will cost, what is needed, and how long it will take etc. Other terms used here are; prioritizing, systems, design, risk, budget, influence, techniques, goals, vision, mission, objective, review, action plan, strategic review, closing the gap, swot analysis, analyzing data, etc…
- 4. Directing; much like a conductor directs and orchestra, in the same fashion we need to direct all forms of planning into one act. This is leadership, management network, and supervision functions, as well as structure, systems, policy and procedure, all of it has one aim. To deliver the results contemplated in the time, and with the exact specifications in mind.
- 5. Scale; refers to the size of the project and the amount of effort required.
- 6. Movement; is simple enough; this implies that we need actions, and acts to make them happen, some will be specific, other vague… yet all co-ordinated and calculated. Things won’t happen if we don’t act.
- 7. Operations; this is where it all happens on the ground, where we plant the seed, where we do what we had contemplated with effort and time is spent doing it, performing the acts contemplated…
- 8. Business; is supply and demand; in exchange for money…
I hope to some extent; that we can now have 9 out of ten people that can tell me what strategy is- If not, then strategy is still in peril.
Read more in my new book Strategic Management, The Radical Revolutionary Strategic Management Matrix for Predators by Reinier Geel, now available at Trafford;